Friday, July 31, 2009

My hamster is hurt. What should I do? Is this serious?

I took my hamster out of my cage and she ran off my hand. This is common for her to do as she is still fairly new. But she ran off my hand several times with me trying my best to keep her from doing it again. This happened about six to eight times. The max she fell was about four feet onto soft carpet, once falling onto her own cage. After a while I saw blood on my hand and wondered if it was hers. After checking her for a while I noticed her rear right paw, middle claw, to be bleeding. It doesn't seem that bad but I still wonder. I've had many hampsters before but have never delt with something like this. What should I do? Do I need to contact a vet?
Answers:
I agree with Andi, it is probably minor, Wash it first and put a little listerine (or what you use) to anticeptic it. Your poor hampster probably caught her toe nail on her cage when she landed earlier. Next time you play with her sit on the bed to do it so the landing is softer. I would try not to put cornstarch or soap to stop the bleeding, it should stop on its own and the other things can cause wet-bottom (diarrhea) which is fatal to a rodent. Good luck and great snuggles with your new friend, just try to be more careful. As far as the leg goes, if she is still moving around (which I assume she is because you do not mention it). She will probably be just fine, keep a close eye on her.
go to the vet!!
yes contact a vet and try your best not to let it out of its cage
If it's just a minor injury to the nail you can blot it with some corn starch. If this doesn't stop the bleeding, take her to the vet. Good luck!
I would at least call the vet to see if it is a minor or major injury for the hamster.
yes contact a vet
and next time be more responsible.
how could you let your hamster fall 4 feet?
yeah the vet sounds good. just to make sure she ok.
Yes, she may have just pulled a claw but her leg might be broken. Hamsters are really fragile so be careful with her and don't handle her too much.
i dont think you need to contact a vet til you see that it is getting infected if he can not walk he/she should rest dont take him out as often b/c she is young and when you do, take it out in your room as the safest place to keep him/her. i know you should do this because i have had a hamster who also fell and it was pretty severe and we learned many things from our veterian
perform the operation yourself! quick grab a knife and go to town!
I don't want to scare you, but if you do not visit the vet, your dear hamster might die! Take her as soon as pssible, because, as everyone knows, it is better to be safe than to be sorry. Good luck!
Maybe you should take her to the vet. It might not be serious, but one can never be to sure. Just in case, take her to the vet, she might get blood infection.
yeah i think that you should probably contact your vet just to be sure that she has not seriously injured herself.
She shouldn't be falling all the time like that. Be more careful in the future. Is she favoring her paw? Limping or chewing on it?
Have a parent check her over. She could be hurt internally.
your hamster could have internal injuries just because it fell on a carpet does not mean its OK as for the claw is the nail intact if not it will heal if its hanging off a trip to the vets would be advisable

1 comment:

  1. i have 2 hamstrs and they got in fight. my mom told me to rinse him under water and clean there cage out comepletely. good luck!!!!!! hope he gets better!!!!!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete