Thursday, July 30, 2009

My guinea pig has hair loss behind the ears and on his behind I think he has fleas how do I get rid of them?


Answers:
First off, do you think he could have always had hair loss behind his ears and this is the first you've noticed? Because that is typically normal. If not or if he truly has fleas, I would take him to the vet. Giving a pig a bath isn't the best idea, it could make him sick.
One of my piggies had this it was mites i took her to the vet for an injection to get rid of them
Take him to a vet or go to the store and look for that flea stuff for Guinea pigs.
Can you see any flees on him? Has he been exposed to flees? First I'd give him a bath and check for flees. Has he been around any other animals? Is he scratching his ears? Clean his ears out with a cutip if he is scratching them he might have earmites.
There are many different ways of treating this such as flea collars, flea shampoo, or flea medication from your local vet and or petsmart

By the way it's Pets Mart not Pet Smart because thousans of people have asked me that
Crystal is probably right about the mites unless you can part his hair and see fleas. I'd give him a bath in warm water for a start and see if that helps.
Hi if you are in the UK then use Frontline spry from the vets.Regards Jake
Having two guinea pigs myself it is usual for pigs to have bald spots behind their ears (it worried us to start with) however, the patch on its behind could be a sign of fleas or mites. I would reccommend giving your pig a luke warm bath because it wont do them any harm - one of my pigs loves having a bath the other hates it - make sure you do this in a heated room in a shallow tray (I found cat litter trays are quite useful size wise for this). Give him a chance to get used to the water - don't force him to stay in if he doesn't want to - and be prepared to get wet. Let him dry himself by shaking and grooming because it is quite good for his muscles. Then sit with him - giving him a cuddle - and check his fur for any signs of mites or fleas. If you still feel he needs treating then I have been advised to look at the delicate treatments for headlice (sounds weird but apparently it works). If the bald patches start getting bigger then I would advise you to take him to the vets.
The balding patches are not fleas, this is a sign and or symptom of mites, make an appointment with a veterinarian that deals with exotic pet. The vet will do a skin scrapping to confirm that they are mite and he will treat them with ivometrin. If you do not take care of this your piggy will start to scratch these bald spot making a very large scab, the piggy will continue to scratch an get a secondary infection that will in the end, end his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment