Friday, July 31, 2009

My Hamster is sick, he is breathing really hard. What should I do?

He might have caught a cold from my a human family member. And he was stupidly placed under a open window when it was REALLY cold a for a while thanks to my stupid brother. He's in my room now so he's warm and has tons of bedding to keep warm in, new water, food.any more suggestions?
Answers:
Def take him to a vet. Smaller animals can easily succumb to even minor illness. Also, for all we know it might not be just a cold.
Take it back to the pet store.or call a vet who specializes in small animal care for advice.
I do not know how true this is, but my sister in law has a ton of small animals - well, 2 dogs, a few cats, and 5 rabbits. She said rodents are prone to respiratory infections and that is how most end up dieing. I would call your vet asap.
When you get a pet, it's a responsibility. Take it to a vet.
Take the poor critter to a vet!
rodents are definitely prone to respiratory infections. ESPECIALLY if you have cedar chips as bedding. While it does smell nice, the oils in cedar are irritating to wee beasties lungs. Short of taking him to a really expensive vet, I would try switching his bedding to see if that makes a difference. I use aspen chips, and my pets have never had any respiratory problems. At any good pet store, they will have a variety of bedding that is not cedar.

No comments:

Post a Comment