Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Guinea Pigs feel they need to constantly clean me - is this normal behaviour?

I asked this question a couple of days ago - but got a violation notice because "it was construed as Chatting!!"

So I'm going to ask it again.

I will add some other comments too..

This question is a serious question. For those of you who want to make snide remarks like "Get A Life" - don't bother answering.

They are two sow piggies and are very lovable. They mean the world to me and I appreciate some good answers.

And for the YAHOO GESTAPO THIS IS NOT CHATTING!

Thank you.
Answers:
If you are talking about licking you, they are licking the salt on your skin.
Clean you? How?
WHsat u doing in the cage, u must be small
ever thought you may need a good clean and they are trying to tell you in a nice way, go sniff those pits and see if you need a shower. as for the yahoo gestapo you havent got an chance against them
They're probably like cats, who like the salty taste of our skin when we're a bit hot. As a complete aside, if you ever use TCP when you get a cut/rash/whatever, your cat (if it likes you) will try and lick it off. Don't let them, it's poisons them. They do it as they think they're helping you. Daft little buggers.
Umm maybe they are giving you a hint ? suggest you review your personal hygiene routine
only if you are particularly dirty!
Maybe you taste nice? My dog likes licking my arms and hands for some reason.
Dogs lick people they love. Maybe it's the same way with your pets.
We used to have lots of guinea pigs. A few of them when handled would lick us, we assumed it was like cats and they were licking the salt. Some of the others didn't bother. It's nice you have a good relationship with them, some people just leave them in cages for months on end and it's cruel. I now know you can get salt lick bars or tablets for a lot of animals in pet shops but I do not know if they do a guinea pig one. Try asking in a good pet shop. Good luck.
Where exactly are you getting them to 'clean' you? I mean, allowing vermin to lick you isn't normal behaviour you know? You sound like one of those people who believe cats can communicate with you.wierdo!
yes they will clean each other away they act kinda like monkeys but monkey pick neither like to be dirty
Sorry, I don't know why they do it but it sounds really sweet, It would be nice to think they are doing it as a sign of affection towards you. I have never heard of guinea pigs doing this before.
Ahh they sound lovely.
:~)
i also have two girly piggies and i reckon they do it coz they love u loads mine do it to. they also have any annoying habit of chewing clothes when u are holding them and have accidentally bite me like that an it hurts but i do think they do it all out of love and yes it is normal as guinea pigs are very loving little pets if u look after them well they try to do the same back bless them
Maybe your skin is salty. :)
Yes, thats perfectly normal.
Here's a few excellent websites on guinea pigs, hope they give you some good info -
http://www.russelrabbit.com/languages/su.
http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/guineapi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/guinea_pig. - this Wikipedia site's page has got lots more links down the bottom of the page, too. Hope they all give you some good advice and more contacts too.
i have to guinea pigs and they lick all the time, they are just kissing you or they like the taste on u for instance after uv eating something they want to know what it is. My guniea pigs lick me on my face arms anywhere its just a sign of love.
I dont have guinaes, but my cats lick my hands and arms if Ive just had a shower and/or put moisturiser on, maybe they like your hand cream? Or maybe its their way of showing you they love you! I love guinae pigs, esp the noise they make! :O) Bxx
Maybe they're trying to tell you something.
May Be It's The Salt On Your Skin,
Not Sure I Would Ask Your Vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment