Thursday, July 30, 2009

my hammys run away?

I have had a brilliant hamster called Coco who, sadly ran away from his cage in my friends shed. I use to love putting him in his ball and whenever I called Coco, belive it or not, he came to me. he wasn't tamed and was a real runner. He squeezed through a gap in one of those stupid plastic cages with tubes. Now I know that wasn't the right choice but I didn't want one like that because my mum picked it. But before I use to lay food out in the shed and it would disappear and I would see his poo in every corner of the shed. Now he doesn't eat it %26 I know he has run out. And my friend has a hamster called hammy who is a boy and he is getting old now and struggles to walk around and looks like he needs a walking stick. No offense. and when he passes away, we're share a hamster and it will be ours but will stay at their place. Any advice on it? Both hamster, Coco and Hammy are syrian hamsters and we're thinking of getting a girl syrian hamster. Any tips on how to stop her from running away
Answers:
So sorry your hamster has gone missing. My childrens' hamster lived in one of those clear plastic cages with several tiers connected by tubes - it wasn't expensive, they seemed to like it, and couldn't escape. However, if you take the animal out to run round in a ball, I think you will have to be very careful, and choose a room with closed doors where he can't disappear down a hole! Good luck!
does she have to live in the potting shed? can it live in the house, where it would be more secure
syrian hamsters are quite tiny compared to other types of hamsters. ur pet shop should know which cages are more secure for them and that they cant squeeze out of. gerbils are tiny too (i used to have loads of them) and can squeeze through normal cage bars so there are actually cages made with smaller gaps in the bars so that these tiny creatures wont get out so easily.
Could you not put the cage on the floor with lovely warm bedding fresh food and hope it tempts him back into the cage.
I had a hamster when I was little and she was a right little Houdini too. She would always manage to open the cage door, but was in a room which she could not get out of, just find lots of places to hide. The day time was best to search for her as they are nocturnal and we would find her asleep in a chest of drawers or on the book shelf.

I dont know how you can stop Coco or your new hamster from escaping except for making their immediate environment (cage or tank) stimulating, ensuring they are secure - no gaps in the cage or in a room which they cannot get out of.

My hammys party trick was, when she was in her ball, to run full pelt, hit a wall, split the ball open and leggit. If they want to go, they want to go, but they now where their food is so will come back.
I'm sorry to hear that your hamster ran away, some hamsters do seem to have a tendancy for escapism! I'm afraid that as you kept him outdoors in a potting shed you probably won't be able to find him again, especially if he's escaped into your garden - but here is something you could try:

Find a deep smooth sided waste paper bin or bucket and put a bowl of water and a big pile of food and some bedding (because it's cold at night these days) in the bottom of it. Put it on the floor of your shed and then make a big pile of books that are staggered like a ladder so easy to climb next to it. With a bit of luck if Coco is still around he will be hungry and will climb up the ladder and jump into the bin to get some food and a drink but won't be able to get out again. I would recommed checking the bin every day for a week, but after that it may be time to start mourning your loss.

I know someone has said that Syrians are the smallest hamsters but this is not true they are actually the largest hamsters. A nice wire cage is best for them. If they keep opening their cage doors then with a wire cage you can help keep the doors closed with cable ties or those little wire ties you get with food bags - this was what I had to do for my hamster Mavis. If you have a look at my website you will find loads of info on how to look after your hamster and help them stay happy it is www.pethamsters.co.uk and I can answer any more questions you have from there.

One more thing, PLEASE don't keep your hamster in a garden shed, it is far to cold out there for them, especially now winter is coming. Keep it in your house where he will be nice and warm and will have loads of interaction with your family.

I wish you the best of luck and hope Coco comes home soon :-)
Hamsters should be kept inside; usually it's hard enough finding one that has gotten lose inside but outside your pretty much doomed. They cant survive outside alone, they are domesicated and a snake or bird probably ate him if he didnt die from any of the other dangers out doors like water, a fall, or something else.
I don't understand why you had a hamster and kept him at a friends home and in her shed of all places? It is much too cold and drafty, hamsters don't like drafts, my gut instinct here tells me that your hamster is long gone and has probably not survived, if it is by luck still around, the book and bucket idea is a good one but without the bowl of water in case he falls in and knocks himself out, imagine how gutted you would be to get him back only to find him dead in a bowl of water, put some cucumber or celery with the dry food to meet his immediate need for water, if you check regularly he wont have to wait long to be rescued and put him in a proper cage. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. my female syrian hamster has a cage with lots of tubes. it is a habitrail ovo cage. she got out once at abou 3.30 in the morning. she woke me up. my room is small and has loads of hiding places. there is a gap under my door about a few centimetres high. my hamster can get out of the door but she didnt try to. i have 3 cats 2 so im sure if u check the cage wen u wake up and befor eu go to bed and check its closed she wont get out.

    ReplyDelete