Wednesday, July 29, 2009

my goats keep getting out of their pen and my dad's tryed everything to keep them in what should i do?

he has sold all of our prize goats and all of the ones who know how to get out but they are learning new ways to get out he dosnt know what to do anymore
Answers:
Well, after constantly having to free my landlord's goats when they get stuck, I would NOT recommend chaining them up. The chain gets stuck on everything from tufts of grass, whatever the chain is hooked to, or the remainder of the pen he's got. My aunt raises prize-winning goats too, and she even said that goats are horrible to chain up.

My suggestions: make sure the fence is high enough to keep them from jumping it. They WILL jump from logs, dog houses or other higher objects to get over the fence.

Also make sure that any and all holes in the fence are blocked off or repaired. I would recommend that the fence go all the way to the ground if it happens to be like a chain-link or something like that.

I've had several ferrets, which happen to be excellent escape artists. I've learned from them that if you watch them to see what they are attracted to, like a specific corner where you suspect they are escaping from, it can be a dead-giveaway. If you know which one is the ringleader, watch him especially close.

I hope this helps.
have a higher fence witha top
HI, I'm sorry your dad sold your goats- I would like to help but I don't know a couple things..
How big is your pen? How many goats are in it ? and what is it made of? Once I know this I can try to help you. I have owned goats for over 15 years and have a goat care yahoo group. If you can shoot me answers to these questions I can probably help you figure it out so the goats stop getting out.
goatlady

No comments:

Post a Comment