Thursday, July 30, 2009

My guinea pig was making a weird noise. What does it mean?

I offered her a cunk of bannana through the cage, but she wasn't interested. So I dropped it in the food bowl, and went back to the kicten. Almost imediatly, I heard he making a noise like a bird! It was a cirping sound. I went back to her cage and she stopped, but when I went away again, she was chirping even louder!
So I took her out and held her as she ate the Bannana, and she seemed fine when I put her back.

Background:
Unfortunatly, she is a solitary guinea pig, as her sister died last winter of a tooth abess. The guinea pig in question is freindly, if a lump. (Even with her sister, she would rarley move around outside of the cage, only if bribed by food. She is about four years old and has never made this noise before that I have heard. She seriously sounded like a bird.
Answers:
Are U sure this is not the typical "squeal" that they do when they are communicating? They squeal when they want attention.
Maybe she did not squeal before because she had the company of her sister. Give her love and maybe get her another Guinea pig for company.

If this is not the "normal" sound that they make, then get her to a vet.

Good luck to U and your little buddy.
it dosnt like you
Gunie pigs like attention. She was calling you. Mine were like that that.
I think she may like your company. My guinea pigs always make some noise when they want some attention and foods.
She should stop eating banana cunks. They are not good for anyone, much less a guinea pig. The chirping you hear is her death rattle. That sucker is about to DIE. Make preparations.
Guinea pigs are very vocal, at least mine are. That noise is a happy noise, sounds like a chirping bird. They do that when they are happy, or want attention. If it was a loud piercing squeal, then she was startled or scared, or wanted your attention. :) When they purr, kinda sounds like a cat purr, but slower and louder, that means they are in heaven. good luck.
loud sounding wee wee wee whistel is HUNGRY.
like the hungry sound but softer with random loud wees in there is LONELY.
a cooing time sound that is fast sorta like running fingers fast over a balloon is HAPPY.
a loud pigion cooing type sound just like you would hear from a pigion is CURIOUS.
a sound like flapping means ANGRY.
a slow drawn out cooing is a warning to STAY AWAY.
and almost constant soft fast coo is OH YES BABY.
small short burst whistles they are STRESSED.
I think you need to get her a new friend. I have 4 of them, and they are all very talkative. When I wake up in the morning, or when I come in from work, they are all standing on their hind legs squeeking out greetings. These are normal and welcome noises. If I take one of them out to cut nails or bathe, the remaining ones actually make noises that sound a little like screaming. Again, very normal, although not as welcome.
Here's a few excellent websites on guinea pigs, hope they give you some good info -
http://www.russelrabbit.com/languages/su.
http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/guineapi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/guinea_pig. - this Wikipedia site's page has got lots more links down the bottom of the page, too. Hope they all give you some good advice and more contacts too.
my guinea makes weird noises all the time

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my guinea pig make weird noise all night,
    he make noise like he have hiccups but its really weird.

    ReplyDelete