Friday, July 31, 2009

My hamster is gone and I feel horrible.?

My hamster was sick for a few weeks. She was over 2 yrs old, so I thought its old age. But there were all these fruit flies hanging around her cage. I never had that happen with a hamster. Each morning I cleaned her cage, and the flies kept coming back. Most vets in my area won't treat hamsters, but I found one an hour away and took her there. The vet said that she has worms. They suggested that I leave her at the vet and they'll put her to sleep. I wanted to take her home and the vet said that she's only going to live for a couple more days because she's so old and small. The next morning when I went to clean her cage, there were little worms in her cage where she sleeps. I freaked out. I put my hamster in a box and threw out the cage. I took my hamster to the woods, said good bye, %26 let her go. I didn't know what else to do. I want to think that she's happily living in the woods but I know I killed her. It's been 2 days since I left her in the woods %26 I feel so horrible.
Answers:
You didnt kill her, you let her go. Ending your pets sufferring is the last kind thing you can do for them. Letting them live just because you want them too while they are in pain is cruel, and you freed her from her misery. I know it sucks, and I know it feels awful, but you released her from her pain and she is happier now.

Good Luck hun.
i know your hamster went to hamster heaven
Aw I'm sorry. Its never easy losing a pet. You might've helped it die faster.esp if it didn't have food/water.
That is so sad. Don't feel bad though. You did what you thought was right at the time.
Now go get yourself a cat.

Hope you feel better soon!
Your hamster has probally crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I am sorry for your loss. The worms in the cage were probally maggots (sorry for the bluntness) which are a sure sign of decay.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.
dat is so sad! *sniffs*
It's so hard to say goodbye to a pet. I wasn't there; I don't want to second-guess your decision, but it probably would have been more humane to allow the vet to euthanize her. It could be that she's found a lot of vegetation to munch on, but her chances aren't good out in the woods -- owls, for one thing. You鈥檙e probably correct in saying that she鈥檚 gone.

As for the grief, there's not much I can say. I have a 9-year-old cat, and I've often thought about how he's already through half his life. I love him dearly, so I understand.

My heart goes out to you.
I am sorry to hear that, that was a sad story. I think you did the right thing, it would have been very hard to tell the vet to put your hamster to sleep, so you let it go.
Hello Sky
This is very sad to hear,epically since you had her for so long. A hamster usually lives only for 3/6months. So really your little hamster had a good life. As for the worms i have never heard of that, but you have done the right thing by getting rid of the cage and all the worms. Some people would hold on to there cages instead of Buying another. Well done to you also i know it was hard for you to bury your hamster but you have done it now and you should be proud of yourself.
thats so sad.im very sorry for your loss.
what have u done?

I think its really bad..to do this..

Even u dont know it is alive or not..it is sick and u left it.

u can tk care of it naa.i know u cant bear its death..
Oh thats too bad, i'm really sorry. There is nothing to feel bad about. the hamster would have died anyway. There are only a few vets that can treat worms. They are so hard to find. These lovable creatures and no one cares about them. There are cruel people who say they are stupid and people who abuse them. They are beautiful, lovable, intelagent creatures. Vets very little care about them. 'You can always buy another." they say, but just like a cat or dog, they are hard to replace. You love them, you care for them they are so sweet but no one ever cares deeply about them like I do. I believe hamsters deserve to be treated better. No one cares how they feel. No one cares if they die. No one cares if they get sick. "you can always but a new one." But the love and bond with one hamster can never be replaced. "They are cheep just buy a new one." Who cares how cheep they are. It's about the passion and love in you that brings you to buy a hamster, not the price. 'they are good 'starter' pets." Hamsters take a lot of responsabilaty too. You may not walk them, or take them to the park, but they have to be wached carefully and have to be loved. Real love. Not just oh it's so cute love, but love so much you would be devistated if he/she died.

I can see you really loved your hamster. You didn't do anything wrong. You are a great hamster owner.
I was wishing I could have let my hamster run wild and free. But, I believe it would be certain death for them. I guess you did what you thought best.

I suppose the cage could have been sanitized with something like bleach. I found a large aquarium for my hamster and a special dome thing that he used as his house.

There are a number of little concerns in hamster care especially when they get over three years.

1 comment:

  1. Awww I have a hamster too the same thing happend but... they wet away the reason y they were there was becase my little bro left some fruit by its cage so I was scared but im soo sorry for your loss I never want to lose my hamster never but I have to one day (sniff sniff)... I have a question I bought my hamster a little red dome for it to sleep in today but my hamster wont sleep in ti it always sleeps in the coner do you guys know why its doing that??

    ReplyDelete