Thursday, July 30, 2009

My hamster chews on his cage bars?

Is this bad for my hamster and how do i get him to stop. how should i keep him entertained he already has a wheel and tubes and wood to chew on. thanks.
Answers:
He's doing that to get his teeth worn down. Does he chew on his wood things? He may not like them. You can try soaking the wood in really really salty water and then letting them dry, that always got mine to chew on it. Also, I had a guinea pig who liked those hard alfapha cubes. Just keep trying until he finds something he likes to chew. Also, to combat bordem, also another possible reason for chewing, get a few different toys, like a tunnel or house or even bigger cage.
I wouldn't worry about him chewing on his bars. I think it's normal. I can't see the harm but what do I know? I don't have a hamster only a guenie pig and he chews on his bars.
Maybe he wants something else besides the wood to chew on and that is why he is going after the cage. I dont think it is hurting his teeth, he probably just sharpening them. If this continues for a long peroid of time, try going to the pet store and finding another "chew toy," something that has flavor to it.
I have dwarf hamsters that do that. They do that to everything and i think it's just a way of keeping their teeth clean. you can check out any hamster questions at www.hamsterific.com
umm..I think that it is not bad for him it is good. He is teething so you could probably get him some chew toys. If i had a hamster I would get him like.. some like little balls or cheww toys. If you think this is bad get him a new cage.
Its not bad at all. Its actually good for him. Hes just gnawing down his teeth. All rodents do this. i mean my guinea has gnawed so much in one spot she has worn the paint off it.

Also, he may want attention. My guinea does that when she wants you to give her a carrot
clean a place and let him run free in the House but nothing it can fit in like under furniture or get a really really big box wit not bottom and let it fell the grass
Yes, I have this problem too. I thnk they just like to chew on random stuff. dont worry it normal, i hope you have fun with your hamster i know i already love mine and i had him for 2 weeks good luck.
They generally do it out of boredom, you can try giving him the cat balls with bells in them or small bird toys and making toys for him as well, one you can try is taking an empty toilet paper roll then stuffing it full of toilet paper and hiding a few treats throughout the toilet paper so that he has to dig and search for them. Also more time out of the cage helps as well if you dont have the time to play with him you can get some toys and put them in an empty, cleaned out bathtub and let him play in there (be sure to close the bathroom door if you have other pets) he wont be able to climb up the sides as long as you dont put any toys that are too tall in there. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment