Monday, May 24, 2010

my pet tarantula Willow, is losing weight, her abdomen was huge a year ago, I feed her the fattest crickets.?

When I got Willow as a rescue tarantula from her previous owner who was going to turn her out in a climate she would not have survived in, she was huge. I feed her crickets about 2 weeks, I can't stomach giving her those pinkie things, makes me SICK! What else can I feed dear Willow that will help her gain. I know its almost time for her to molt and shed her old skin too. Do they lose weight then? What else would she enjoy eating besides crickets?
Answers:
they will stop eating near their maulting period, after the mault keep an eye on her.
If your tarantula is getting ready to shed, she will quit eating for several weeks prior to the molt. This will help her slim down and be able to shed her skin more easily without getting stuck. Don't attempt to feed her after the molt until her fangs are black and shiny, which means they have dried out and hardened, ready to use. This can take several days to up to a week. A tarantula requires weekly feeding. Depending on the size, a single cricket a week should suffice. If she's a giant tarantula, it could take five or more. Tarantulas will also eat meal worms and like a change in their diet once in a while.
I had a male desert tarantula, right off a road in New Mexico, my brother thought he'd bring me a present, I didn't really what it but I didn't want it to die neither. I fed it whatever I could find in the yard that wouldn't kill it. His favorite food was caterpillars. And about a year later he's butt got smaller and he stopped eating then he died, even through he always had food, water and somewhere to hide in his tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment