Monday, May 24, 2010

My pet cockatiel is scared of me?

I've had my cockatiel Kirbi for almost two months now, and she still won't let me pick her up. I previously had a cockatiel for 9 years, so I know how to deal with birds. I play music, sing to her, talk to her, sit near the cage so she can feel comfortable. She comes out of her cage and walks around the floor, so she's not scared to come out. I've tried slowly resting my finger inside the cage and waiting, but she dodges to the opposite side of the cage and waits til I stop invading her space. I bought her from a pet store, so I know she's not as friendly as birds from a breeder, and I don't know how old she is. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?
Answers:
Be sure to move very slowly around her, remember she's alot smaller than you are and if she's jumpy to begin with you could be scaring her! Talk softly to her and make soothing sounds, and whistle to her, they love that. Time and patience (and maybe bird treats!) should do the trick, good luck!
Place your hands outside the cage and whistle and talk to her. Mine gets p!ssy with me sometimes but warms up when I whistle the familar tunes he likes. Mine wolf whistles (which is really fun when people are over.it sounds like a person).

I whistled the song lets all sing like the birdies sing on the computer and played it in a loop for two days while out of the house.He sings that too and when I do, he calms down.
I have a cockatiel and she was scared of my for a little while but once she got used to me she would let me hold her. Just keep going around her cage and dong the things you do and she should get used to you.
if you are her 2nd owner maybe she isn't use to that .or she need time to warm up to you..if they are scared they attack lol
GIVE AWAY PROBLEM SOLVED .

No comments:

Post a Comment