Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Mare did Something Weird, has this Happened to you? (Please only answer if you know horses well!)?

Today I was working with my 15 year old mare, Sooky, and she was acting fairly normal. Though, (I use Parrelli natural horsemanship), when I had started pushing her over because she was in my space, she put her head all the way over me and started nickering like a stallion would before he would mount. I immediatly kneed her and got out, and everything else was fine for the rest of the night.

Overall, has this ever happened to you? And if so. why did she do it?

Its just odd. Please post any ideas also =]

Thank you!
Answers:
Is she pregnant? There is a period (6-7 months)during gestation that a mare can spike high levels of testosterone. Sometimes pregnant mares can be seen teasing or even mounting other mares in heat. If not; your mare could be coming into heat fairly soon. When a mare comes into heat there is a period when her hormone levels can become unbalanced and they become studly acting. On older mares it is also possible for them to develop cysts on their ovaries that will also cause a hormonal imbalance. Often the cysts will be reasorbed; but in some cases a vet will need to give a shot of HCG to release the cyste.
hehe..she thought you needed a hug and was trying to talk to you..you pushing her out of her way made her think you were in a bad mood.actually I dont have the answer for you. None of my mares have done that. They will put their heads over my shoulder but not knicker like a stud. Sorry and good luck w/the answers.
she might be angey i have 17 horses and a few did it to me i just put her away when she did it.
dose she still coming into heat? if so, she could be coming into heat soon!!:)
I have done parelli horsemanship training too but not to the extent that im an expert. ive seen something like that before though, is she intruding in ur space? if not the nicker is jus being friendly and accepting you as being dominant. if she is getting in ur space, maybe shes reading ur signals wrong and thinks its okay to do so. ive helped as much as i could =/ i hope it sort of helps?
She wasn't feeling good. she didn't want to be bothered.I would sugest you take her temp. This is not a normal behavior especially if you have had her for a while. Also horses can sence your emotional vibes. so think back to what might have started her to become nervous after you find out what her temp is and know for sure she isn't getting sick.
I've actually never had that happen..

No comments:

Post a Comment