Saturday, May 22, 2010

my horse seems to be afraid.?

I have purchased a pair of white levis 501's for riding, but when i mount my horse wearing them she seems to get uneasy, Maybe it is the contrast from the white on to my black boots, i dont know. she doesn't have a problem with any of the other levis i wear when i ride. has this ever happened to anyone before or anything similar ever happened?
Answers:
It's quite possible that she notices the differences in the color. After all - it is quite a change. I don't think it is the contrast - it could be just the glare of the whiteness.
Are you sure this is only the Levis? Is there anything else that just happens to be different when you wear them? Perhaps it's your attitude when you wear them, or perhaps there's some apprehension on your part that she's picking up on.
Try behavior mod., just hang a pair of white Levis on her stall, moving them around every once in a while till she gets used to them.
no,never but i know my horses seem to react to different colored pieces of clothing.
ma by your horse has been hurt or upset by someone in the past who was wearing white trousers ,horses have a very good memory But i do know that all horses are colour blind so thy only see things in black and white
Yes!This happened to me once in2002.I think you should be really friendly with it and try not to scare it but make sure take a lot of care of it.
Yeah, I think bright colors are like a flashbulb to them. especially light and big. Take out a sheet and see how she reacts verses a dark blanket.

I don鈥檛 think they see this as a part of you but something else. Just think about waving a rag verse waving your hand.

I鈥檇 say don鈥檛 wear them. I don鈥檛 think it is a 鈥榗ontrast鈥?but just it is BRIGHT.
sometimes when it would be a little bit chilly or rainy i would wear a hoodie and have the hood up and that would make my horse a little dancy at first until she realized it was just me
I would suggest doing some desensitizing. Grab an old piece of white clothing or a towel and start working with your horse on the ground with it. Start by laying it on the ground and getting her comfortable with walking up to it and even on it. Then start putting it all over her/his body and have her/his get used to having it on her/his back while walking around. Hope this helps! Good luck. Happy Trails.
I THINK IT IS A TRMENDOUS DISTRACTION TO THE HORSE AND COULD END UP BADLY.. TRY WEARING DARKER COLORS.
try not riding in them for a bit just do the yard jobs mucking out feeding grooming ect till she gets used to them then try again
Just work on desensitizing your horse. Rub a bag of tin cans all over her, a stick with a towel tied on the end. Hang a bright white sheet over her and flap it around. Walk her over tarps. (Though be careful if she wears shoes, I've heard that tarps can get stuck in the shoes! ack!) Ride her around and open and close mailboxes. Make funny noises, etc.

Once she can take a barage of things thrown at her (not literarlly--although almost) she shouldn't care about your pants.
Wear those Levis one day and dont ride. Just spend some time with your horse on the ground.She will most likely to get used to them..
Horses are very sensitive to stuff like that. Let me tell you a funny story that happened to me on Monday.

I'd been to the dentist and then I went to the stables. I was walking across the field to get my horse and a very cold wind was blowing. As my teeth were sensitive, I pulled the neck of my jumper up to cover my nose and mouth. My horse is never a problem to catch, but she wouldn't come anywhere near me. I couldn't figure it out until I put the neck of my jumper back down. Immediately my horse looked at me as if to say "OH, IT'S YOU!" She then offered me her nose to put in her headcollar the same way she always does.

So the answer to your question is YES, it's probably cos they're white. The more you wear them, the more accustomed your horse will become to them.
Whoa nelly! this is very interesting. This has never happened to me I just where blue jeans. Stay safe and happy trails.
Not sure if shes afraid of the jeans Jimmy but common sense should prevail and to just prevent the horse from being frightened just dont wear the levis!
Horses are highly volatile animals and if you think this may be the reason for her being uneasy - just dont wear them! xx
some horses are scared of certain colours - it could be that ur horse itsn't scared of white when she can see it but when it is onher back because shes a prey animal she may get spooked. there was a horse at the stable where i go who got really jumpy when her rider wore her red coat, even when zipped up. So we put the coat in the middle of the arena, put some food on it, and turned the horse in on her own to let her investigate. As soon as she learnt that it wasn't a scary monster, she was fine.
maybe she is excited! You wear white jods for competing so maybe she is expexting to go out!
horses are creatures of habit. she was sure you were good while you were wearing normal jeans, but now that they're white, oh good lord, what are we going to do?!?

in other words, she doesn't trust you. go to the group: parellinaturally and ask the question. there are very very experienced horse people there that will be able to help you and your horse conquer the white jeans.

good luck!
aha, its not your horsey thats afraid, horseys can detect when the rider is scared, mine bucked me off when i got one.
I would stop wearing the jacket..or seek help for her phobia
why don't you just get yourself some jodhpurs??

No comments:

Post a Comment