Monday, May 24, 2010

My pet mice. I asked a few days ago, but didn't really get an answer.?

So I had gotten two pet mice from a local Petco about a month and a half ago. The dark one was generally pretty scared of me, and the white the most curious little thing ever. Recently, the dark one has opened up to me and actaully jumps twords my hand if I put it in the tank. Well, my question. When I was hand feeding it a carrot slice from my salad mix my hand smelt like carrots after (Well, that's to be expected.). And the mouse bit me. Whatever. Washed my hands. Waited a few hours. Played with her for a bit. She bit me again. And ever since then (About a week ago), every time I pick her up she bites me. What's up with that, and how do I make her stop? Also. The white one, within the past week, has become less friendly and less able to handle. Just in the sense that she doesn't come to my hand anymore, and tries to squirm away if held. Neither of them have been hurt by a human, to my knowledge. So, I don't understand the sudden attitude change. Help, anyone?
Answers:
I know this sounds horrible. But, anything with teeth is going to bite. :-) My mice used to bite too. But, they're doing that because they're frightened and want to be left alone. If you want to tame them, don't leave them alone. Wear a protective glove to handle them, initially. Squirm or no squirm. Hold and talk to them for just a few moments. Then, give them a treat. Soon, the biting will stop and they'll learn that the "hand" is a good thing. Best of luck!
well, maybe the mouse thinks that you hand is a carrot, even though it doesn't smell like one.
I worked for a vet for 7 years and a large exotic pet store for 3 years and we could not easily sell pets that were unfriendly. If the mice are babies, they will stop eventually with very little prompting. But if they are full grown size it is slightly harder. I will probably get thumbs down for this.but it always worked for us.whenever we would get nipped we would "thump" the mouse on the tip of the nose. Not enough to hurt it.but to surprise it and direct it at the area of its body that was performing a "no-no." It usually only took once or twice. Then they were gentle as kittens. If we were to leave them alone and not socialize them and train them, they would have become snake food.Also, instead of a carrot, hand feed them sunflower seeds.in the shell.
Problem is that when they bite you, you instinctively pull your hand away and guess what? Little mouse thinks hey I make the big human afraid of me. Do you have leather gloves that you can rub you scent on so that you can be protected from the bites? If you use the gloves and handle them, feed them, change their cages frequently the mouse will learn that she can not make you jump away, biteing dosn't work and should stop.
Hard to tell what goes on in the mind of a mouse. If she comes to you, she obviously doesn't fear you. Maybe she's still associating the smell of carrots with you from the time you hand fed it a carrot slice, and that's why she's biting you. But who knows?
You might want to take some clothing you have worn and put it in the cage. Thay will smell you while you are at work. I don't think there is anything that i know of that will make them stop bitting you. I don't know much about mice. I grow up with gerbals. If it gets to bad you might want to think about returning them to petco and exchanging them for another pair of mice or change to another type of rodent. I loved my geribals. Thay are very sweet. Thay show so much love. Another thing is you might want to think about getting baby mice or baby geribals. Babies will be easyer to train. And will put there trust in you after a day or two. I'm thinking about getting a pair myself. I wish you luck
Mice are skittish little creatures to begin with. Kudos to you for wanting to solve this dilemma. Depending on how you reacted (yelling "ouch!"), you may have scared her. If this is the case, give her time and allow her to come to you. Don't try to pick her up. Just gently rub her back with a fingertip until she gets used to your touch again.

She could also be cage aggressive. In my experience, I've never seen it, but it could be possible. If this is the case, lift her up using something like a tube (the kind they chew on) or even a coffee cup (don't force her into it or you may instill fear) and put her into your hand this way.

Never, and I mean never, physically correct an animal as small as a mouse. Unless you know exactly how hard you can do it, don't. I would never do this to any animal smaller than my fist.
that's just females for you female rodents tend to bite a fair bit, that's why i always get males

No comments:

Post a Comment