Friday, May 8, 2009

My dwarf hamster was lay on her back looking dead but soon come round with a poke, is it normal?

My roborovski hamster was lay on her back in her tube she appeared to be dead she didn't look as if she was breathing, she's never done this before and is quite an old hamster. Is it normal that they can go into catatonic states or is it a symptom that she might actually be sick. She doesn't look unwell and has a good appetite
Answers:
In my personal experiance, I think it's just how she or he decided to sleep. I had a similar scare when I found my girl sleeping like that in the middle of the cage. I hastely picked her up and she sprung up and looked kind of dazed about what had just happened. She got kind of mad because of the quick reaction, so I sat her down and she went back to the same postion and took a nap. Or if your house is too cold it might be hibernation. if you think so add apeice of felt that was warmed in the microwave, or a sock with rice in it straight from the microwave. Maybe a heating pad under the cage(on low). Since their bodies are so small their temputure is delicate. If she is to hot this could also be a result. Do the felt or sock ,but let it stay in the freezer in a ziplock for a couple hours. And packs of frozen veggies under the cage. Even a fan aim just above the cage would help get the air moving. Just be sure not to point the fan directly on them.
She was probably in a deep sleep, and they do hibernate.
She might have been hot. My Ferrets used to sleep on their backs, legs splayed out when the temperature in their room got a little warmer than normal (74-78 F). During Hurricane Charley, I had to buy a generator and room AC for them.
you have a dwarf hampster! awww its probibly just getting ready to hibernate, just put in extra stuff for it to burrow. try cotton balls and more shavings. jsut dont cover the food cuz it will forget about it and stop eating. 鈽?ok well hope taht helps!
i think its maybe not normal (what is normal) but it is ok. i have had about 30 (give or take) hamsters and their were always 1 or 2 that would do that and they were fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment