Friday, May 8, 2009

my daughter is 4 and old enough for a pet-should i get her a chihuahua? are they quick tempered? does anyone?

know if they would make a good pet for a toddler?
thanks---we had a wesh pembrooke corgi when she (my daughter was born, but he passed away when she turned 2 years old) and she has missedhim ever sincethanks for any info in advance
Answers:
My mom has a chihuahua and it has a temper, it snaps at people, even children. Of course, she adopted it from a shelter, and it was likely abused by it's former owner, so it may not be a good example.
I would not get her a chihuahua I got my son one when he was about 2 1/2 years old and we had to get rid of him they can not handle small kids very well. We now have a lab and he is the best pet we could have got for him. He is now 10 and they are the best of friends.
Not good with small children. I'd go with a Lab. Best dog in the world.
Pit Bulls have the best temperament statistically. Labs are good too. but plz help save the GOOD pit bulls. DONT GET A CHIUAHUAH (they yap all day and theyre not 2 nice--1 almost ate my dog. and my dogs a pit bull/boxer). i'd say get a pit bull. but make sure u know that it is good with children. mine is good with children.unfortunately I'm not good with kids. anyway.i have a 4 year old brother that picks on my dog. (poor doggy.gets beat up by a little 4 year old)..my dogs a coward.

breeds dont really matter. just go 2 an adoption center like Petsmart. or petfinder.com. just get 1 thats good with kids.

btw.u cant get a chiuahuah if u want. im no a BSL person. just get 1 that is good with kids..

REMEMBER: UR THE 1 TAKING CARE OF THE DOG. DONT COUNT ON A 4 YEAR OLD 2 DO IT. THEY WONT. IM 13 AND I DO MOST OF THE WORK BUT SOMETIMES I HAVE 2 HAVE MY PARENTS DO IT BECAUSE IM BUSY.
Chi's are too small and fragile for a child, which puts both the dog at risk of serious injury, and the child at risk of getting bit as the dog tries to protect its self. No toy breeds are recommended for small children, if you want a dog, choose something a bit larger, and a bit more Even tempered. check out this site, answer the questions, and see what is recommended for your situation. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm.
Chihuahua is a bad choice. They are ill tempered and quick to bite. For an adult to take care of and understand fine, but with a child arround that will get bit alot, no way.
Personally,I would get a yorkie. Much better!
We have a chihuahua and we love her. However, I do not recommend them for a 4 year olds pet because they are very highstrung creatures. Their energy level is way to high for them to be a petting puppy so I would recommend a different bread that is known to be calmer.
Maybe try a Boston Terrier. I have 2 children (girls, also) they were age 2 and 7 when we got our Boston Terrier and she is a great family pet. Loves attention, likes to play and pretty tolerant with children.

BTW, boston terriers are small indoor dogs, like chihuahuas and don't get much bigger than 20 lbs.

Good luck finding a pet for your girl.
Bishon Frise is what my Mom has. He's VERY gentle with my 19 month old.
My parents got a scottie puppy when I was around 5 or so. He was fab with my brother and I. Scotties are small so if your looking for small it's good. They also don't shead (You get them clipped instead). Anoter good breed with kids is a beagle. Though if your going to keep them indoors you'll have issues. They need outdoor activities (our old beagle would get loose and get into other peoples trash). I hear Labs are good, but they are big, and can be a little dopy at times, and they shead ALOT.
We have a tea cup chihuahua, she just about bites everybody she does not know, even the kids, she does know she bites them. Its funny I have a 4 year old niece who just loves our dog to death, but everytime our dog see her coming, her hair on her back stands up and she shows her teeth. my niece still insists putting her fingers towards the dogs head, and whammo, shes been bitten. Our chichi loves to bite small childrens fingers and toes. I would not recommend it to anybody to adopt a small dog. Try a Jack Russell, their a small breed and love people.
u should not get her one she is too young and they are hard to take cake and cost about 200,00 $
Chihuahua's are a very timid breed. They can make good pets but they generaly take a lot more work to train. I go back to Corgies or I would adopt an animal from a shelter. A great site to find dogs that need homes is www.petfinder.com. Good Luck!
Chihuahuas are terrible pets to have around children, as they are unpredictable. If you want a smaller dog, try a miniature poodle. They are usually very well mannered and excellent with all people.
The best dog for a small child is any sort of retriever: black lab, yellow lab, or golden. They are very patient with children, and also very protective.
Chihuahas probably aren't the best choice.If you are looking for another small dog,try a pug or another pembroke welsh corgi.If you have the space for a bigger dog,my personal choice would be a golden retriever.They are mid-sized,and all the goldens I've met have been even-tempered,smart,friendly,a. trainable.I own one,and she's the best dog I've ever owned,hands down.Pugs are also friendly and kid-safe,if you need something smaller.Chihuahuas are snippy and can be very vicous little things,and definitely aren't recommended for little kids.Of course there are exceptions,so happy dog-hunting,whatever you choose to do!
definately not a chihuaua smaller dogs are more nippy and better for older people
Iam sure there are a hundred opinions on this. However I would say no to a chihuaua. Those little buggers are mean. Not good with children. A small terrier type dog would be better.
I also think that a Chihuahua is not really a good pet for a four year old %26 can be snappy %26 grumpy . though I'm sure not all of them are like that.

If you're looking for a small dog then what about a Border Terrier?

They're just a little bit bigger %26 more robust %26 very much on the plus side they said to be "especially affectionate with children and wants to please, so it is relatively easy to train". The site (listed below) also says "The Border Terrier sheds little to no hair and is good for allergy sufferers."

There's other good things mentioned on the site too - the negative seems to be that they like to dig %26 that they may not be trustworthy with small pets.

I've found another site too on living with a Border Terrrier - hope that it helps you to make up your mind whether or not to consider one of these.

If you've room for a large dog then I recommend an Irish Setter. The ones that I've had over the years have been wonderful with children - from babies up to teenagers.

But remember any puppy that you get will need supervision %26 training . all puppies have teeth %26 tiny claws %26 some like to play by chewing %26 jumping up until they learn not to. Unless you're willing to dedicate the time to training it may be better to consider an older dog . I believe that most of the rescue centres do behaviour tests %26 they'd be on hand for advice %26 support during the settling in time with you %26 your family.

Hope this is helpful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment