Friday, May 8, 2009

My Dwarf hamster just had babies and I need help?

My dwarf hamster just had a litter of three. and she moved all of them down to the bottom of the cage but one. Why did she leave one of them by itself? Can I save or move it?
Answers:
I would call a pet store and ask them for help/advice on taking care of them.
maybe that hamster is the lucky one or maybe it is doomed. good luck
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=na.
no no no dont touch it, then if she smells you on it she will eat it! My dwarf hamster had 11 babies! at one time! just let her do her thing, shes their mommy so she knows what she is doing. Best of Luck!
Okay, my Dwarf Hamster just had babies also, She moved them around ALOT! and it made me mad cuz she would put them up in a really high tower, welll after a little while she would separte one ( She had 4) and then she would have 2 separted, the best advice I can give you is just to check very seldom on them to see if she is taking care of that one and if she is then don't worry a bit, if she isn't I would maybe try taking a plastic ( this is what I did once cuz I was scared she wasn't taking care of them.Well she was) plastic cup and move it with the others, She will probabley separte them again. But I donno about the cup thing, it worked for me, but I don't want you mom hamster to get all mad. You might just want to call a vet, and ask them if you could move them.
So yea, I bet you hamster will be a good mommy and take really good care of the babies, Just like mine did
My babies are 11 days old and there eyes are half way open and the are walking and trying to eat normal food, Just to let you no whats coming up.
Oh Yea, And just make sure you DO NOT touch the babies, the mom will probabley disown them ar eat them if you touch.
Hope this helps a bunch! =D
No, don't move it. That happend to my hamster and she wound up getting the baby after a bit - if you're super nervous, put on latex gloves and *gently* move the baby closer to the nest; be prepared for momma to get nasty if she feels you're threatening her babies. Make sure the room the cage is in is warm and relatively quiet and that momma has plenty of fresh water and food - she's nursing and needs the nourishment. She also needs extra protein so I used to put a dog bone in the cage - great protein and I don't have to trouble her too much too make sure she has a constant supply. DON'T touch the babies until they are a month old or the mom will reject them or possibly eat them. Also, take the wheel out of her cage for now - the babies can get hurt on it. I had one who nested under the wheel at 4 weeks old and died when the mom used the wheel.

Good luck!
my hamster just had three babies too! If after a really long time, like the whole day and it's still there, what you can do is use a plastic spoon that has no smell on it (please don't use your hand) to scoop up the hamster and place it in the mother's nest when she is not watching and when she is far away from her nest. You can feed her a piece of cheese to distract her and bring her to the place that you want her to be, so that you can return the lost baby to the nest. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment