Sunday, August 2, 2009

My horse - stubborn or not smart?

Ground school lots of horses - mainly parelli. Every horse seems to pick it up in the first session, BUT my 1 1/2 year QH gelding that I have had since birth, is so tame and laid back and despooked, doesn't want to participate in any training. Encouragement with my whip and stick doesn't work - just acts like it is a small nuisance and is definitely not scared. Could he be so tame and gentle he won't learn, or could he be "not smart". First one I ever had like this.
Answers:
Some horses are so laid back that they just seem to not be smart. I had one once that no matter what I did with him he just looked at me to say "NOW WHAT?" He turned out to be the easiest horse I ever worked with because of that attitude, but it took a long time to get through to him, because he really needed to learn respect not complacency.

Though I think Parelli has a lot of good ideas, there are some that I don't agree with. Sometimes you can be TOO gentle and laid back - the horse needs to learn to respond and sometimes a slightly more aggressive approach is needed. I'm not advocating abuse; what I am saying is that you need to be more assertive. Right now he's not showing you respect - without that respect he's going to ignore you and do (or not do) whatever he feels like. This could lead to trouble in the long run because when you try to make him do something (like cross water for example) he could refuse and because he doesn't respect you it could lead to a major problem or a fight in which one of you gets injured.

Again, I'm not advocating abuse here, but sometimes a nuisance tap on the behind isn't going to work; he sounds like he's so de-sensitized to everything that he's ignoring your encouragement. Use your whip, pop it on the ground right behind him - the sudden noise might wake him up. If that fails, it's time to pop him on the rear end and make him realize you mean business. He may be startled or even panic a bit - but don't worry - that's what'll make him listen to you. I doubt that he's ever been popped before but remember that in a herd situation the boss mare will bite or even kick a subordinate who doesn't do what she says. You're not going to wallop him so hard that you'll break the skin or even make a welt (again the boss mare will do a LOT more damage than what you'll do with a pop on the rear with a whip), but you ARE going to make him listen to you and realize that this isn't just on HIS time but YOURS since YOU are the boss, not him.

I worked with a horse one time who had a similar attitude - when I got after him he resented my trying to make him do something and actually got mad and charged at me, so be careful.

No respect makes for a dangerous horse.

Good Luck!
chances are he is just stubborn. I haven't ever seen a horse to stupid to learn just plenty that are so stubborn it takes forever.
It sounds to me like he's so intelligent and stubborn that it's going to take you a whole lot of patience and positive enforcement to get him interested in learning. He can learn %26 he will, you just have to out-smart %26 out-last him. Having experience, I know you'll find the in-road to fixing this problem. Don't let him know that he's frustrating you though, that'll only add to the difficulties.
He may actually be "smart" enough to ignore the training. We had a Quarter Horse that would limp every time we brought a bridle near her. It was like she knew we wouldn't ride her if she were lame. You may have to try a more unique method of training with him.
I think smart and spoiled are more likely. Whenever I have had one that I hand raised from birth they tend to be rotten. Much harder to train to do ANYTHING. Be patient, it will come.
I think he is just stubborn, and just wants to be lacked back and not do anything.
Your horse Parelli is 11/2 is very young and this whole nonsense stuff is probably be just stubbornness. Which is very common. Normally I would put him under the category that he's green broke, but from reading your explanation of his attitude toward not wanting to learn, it seems to me, that he just doesn't care.
And because he's so young, and that he's SOOO laid back, he might change as he gets older, but then again, he might not.
Hun, I'd just go with the flow. After sooner or later, he'll give up the fight and give in.
Keep using the whip, not responding is clearing disloyalty. Your the boss, make him listen.

Good luck!
I once heard a quote that said something like, Whenever you say, "that stupid horse (or dog,whatever)" it's really that the animal has outsmarted the owner. It's kinda funny, but when you think about it it is sooo true. I'm sure it is stubborn!
I think you love him too much to get on him about his behavior to ignore
Hmm, encouragement or respect?

He doesn't respect the whip and stick, which are used as encouragment to move in the opposite direction. Why doesn't he respect the whip or stick? Has he ever been corrected with the whip or stick? If not, that is your problem right there. Next time he doesn't move in the desired direction, use the whip or stick and smack him once, which will surprise him and hopefully make him move in the opposite direction and if he does, praise him. Eventually you'll be able to just wiggle or motion the stick in his direction to make him move away from it.

Don't be afraid to smack him hard if he doesn't respond to a lighter hand. Horses kick and bite each other often, so one hit of a whip or stick is not going to tramatize them for life or make them hate you.

Never beat your horse and if the above doesn't help then it is time to seek a trainer, even if you are one yourself, get another opinion in person. Good luck!
THERE ARE SOME SOME HORSES WHO DONT TAKE TO PARELLI I THINK HE TOO SMART FOR HIS OWN GOOD THAT COULD BE IT HE COULD TESTIN YOU TOO

No comments:

Post a Comment