Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Horse is Limping, What do i do if today is sunday, and tomorrow is a holiday.?

Romeo is suddenly limping and i checked for signs of injury but i couldn't find anything. He stands on it but he rests it when he's standing. I know I have to call the vet, but tommorow is a holiday (Labor Day) and their not going to be open. My question is, what do I do?
Answers:
If you think it's very bad you can try to find and after hours vet. It'll cost you extra but if it's an emergency, then it has to be done.

It was one year ago today that my dog got hit by a car. I had to find a vet that would meet me at the animal hospital on the Sunday before Labor Day. I paid dearly for it. But I couldn't wait until Tuesday to take my injured dog to the vet.
try to call the answering service to see if the doctor is on call. and if not just keep a close eye on your horse.
He could have a small pebble in his hoof, or he could have obtained a stone bruise. If there is swelling, call the Vet, regardless of it being a Holiday. They do answer emergencies calls.
:S Have you checked the shoe? and around the "frog" he might have picked up a rock. Have you checked some of the horse boards on the internet? maybe one of them can help.
heres one:
http://www.manureslinger.proboards54.com.
In later details you said you'd rapped the leg from knee to hoof. Good. I'd also suggest checking for heat in the shoulder, leg, and hoof, including the frog. If there is no obvious injury your horse may have just pulled something and might get better on it's own. Calling a vet is a good idea in any event. Just don't get that bandage you've put on too tight, and watch for swelling that might make it too tight. Another thing you can do if you have access to it ( especially if there is any heat in the leg) is to spray cold water from a water hose onto the area. Sort of a cold water massage. Just be care full as some horses can be skittish. Hope you have someone around to help you. Good luck.
Go to the vet ot what leg is it im a vet wel a vet in training im well not realy my couson is but who cares i know alote cuase of hetr so what leg is it
Try to self diagnose the injury. Is there heat anywhere on his legs or feet? On the leg it is probably a strain (by a tendon), or blunt trauma. Cold hose the injury and give 2 grams of bute. In the hoof, it may be an abscess or stone bruise. soak in epsom salts and bute him. Good luck
your horse may have a ston bruse or somthing
Well. It could be a stone bruise. A stone could have gotten in the hoof. I would also sugest a GOOD farrier. They might be able to help you better if it's the foot. But if it's the leg, I'd call the vet. Just don't ride or make your horse work untill you can get a vet to your house. And if the vet says to get a farrier, get one quick!
Call your vet, if they don't answer, then you can call another vet to see if they are on call.

No comments:

Post a Comment