Sunday, August 2, 2009

My horse is getting worse and worse about me catching her?

I start to walk up to her and she runs away. Like she's saying " oh I don't feel like going for a ride right now so I'm going to be a brat and run away". She is not in pain when I ride her and I brush and spend time with her alot. No dumb answers like "give her more treats or something". Real answers. Thanks.
Answers:
I would try working her in the roundpen. She seems to have some respect issues. Make her work, and teach her that she has to go when and where you tell her.

Start by working her in one direction, (it works best if you work her to the point she wants to stop), step in front of her shoulder, and say "Whoa!". If she stops, let her relax a minute, but as soon as she takes her attention off of you put her back to work. If she doesn't stop and just turns the other direction, make her work even harder the other way. She'll eventually learn that things are much easier if she stops and gives you her undivided attention.

After she gets the idea of whoa, you can step towards her a little, then step back. That will get her coming towards you. She'll eventuallly walk towards you when she stops. You'll be surprised how easily she'll pick it all up, and how it will help everything from catching her to general ground manners.

Do you only catch her when you are planning on riding? Or do you have to catch her when you feed too? If you are only attempting to catch her when you want to ride, then she's obviously made the connection with you in the field=I have to work. Try catching her, and just grooming her for awhile.

Hope that helps some!
Hmm maybe she's pregnant?
Maybe you've been eating too many bon-bons.
Don't ride her every time you walk up to catch her. just pet one her and show her that you don't want to ride her every time you go to catch her.
Do you have a rifle?
I don't know what your skill level as a rider is, but maybe when you ride you're too rough on her, or maybe you don't pay attention when she's trying to send you signals. The relationship between horse and rider is a very special, almost symbiotic one. If you're ignoring her input, or forcing your will over hers constantly, she may be fed-up with you.
maybe she wants a mate.
dude, giving her treats is not a dumb answer. if she's a normal horse she'll come trotting to you the next day.

worked on my boy in a second.

but i agree with those who said don't catch her every time. chill with her in the field or just take her out, give her some petting and treats, and put her back.
It may be possible she hasn't acepted you as the leader. Maybe doing some round pen bonding up.. you know like the monty roberts. Once you establish that, making it a very pleasurable experience for her to be caught, (carrots, friendly pats etc.). I had the same problem with my mare when I'd let her out in the pasture, and I finally did the the bonding up in the round pen, it took her about 45 minutes for her to acept me as the boss, but it was worth it in the end, I never had a problem catching her in the field again, and as an extra bonus I was well stocked with treats for her, to praise her for being catchable. Good Luck with your horse.
Have you had a vet come out to look at her back. There are also horse masseuses too. I use one for my Thoroughbred. He is 16.1 and I am only 140 but after a hard day of riding he still will get a sore back here and there. If she is not balanced she could be twisting or bending incorrectly which may be causing some discomfort. Some horses if they have had even one painful day of riding can start in with little aversion game.not so funny to us though. Check your equipment really good for any odd peices that could be causing discomfort too. After ruling out any kind of pain inducing issue, internal or from the equipment you can start riding her again. In the meantime you can still work on catching her by . calling her, when she gets to you give her a carrot or apple (whatever she likes) clip on her lead and halter walk her around and then release her. Randomly alternate what she has to do when you have her: a quick lead around the pasture, a brushing, an automatic release, ect. You dont what her to continue to anticipate why you want her to come. The consistent becomes she will get something out of it. I have had a horse that really didnt want to be bothered with anything including being brushed.what a weird horse huh?.anyway this was the only method that worked for her. You can also play a game of chase with her in the pasture.she is 'chasing' you of course. Horses are curious by nature and if you go out and stand in the middle of the pasture they will come up eventually. When she gets to you, with your back turned, reach out pet her once and then walk away. She will start to follow more quickly. These always worked for my guys including my crab-apple mare.
I dealt with a gelding that did the same thing. Make a point of bringing her in 2-3X a week when you are not riding. Give her some grain and attention then turn her back out. It might take a couple weeks but that should do the trick.
I agree with the round pen work so I won;t reiterate what everyone else has already said. I highly recommend John Lyons Round Pen Reasoning technique.
I also know you said no treats but one thing that works with my horses is to find a hard candy that they like, peppermints, butterscotch, etc. Everytime you give her one rattle the celophane (wrapper) a lot first and as you are opening it. After she gets used to that she can be within ear hsot and will come running for her candy.
I have 6 and all of them will mow me down in the pasture when they hear those wrappers. I never have problems catching any of them and 2 of them are rescues that had been severely abused and had definite trust issues. Between the round pen reasoning, lots of patience, lots of love, and a piece of candy now and then, they no longer have any trust issues and follow me everywhere.
Sounds like you are pretty much on the right track. Sometimes it just takes a little suggestion of something new to get the wheels turning.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment