Sunday, August 2, 2009

My hen won't sit on the fertile eggs. What should I do?

I have a hen who is sitting on eggs. The only problem is that I have no rooster, so today I bought some fertile eggs and put them in her nest and took her ones. I just checke on her and she is now sitting to the side of the eggs, not on them. She has rejected them. What can I do?
Answers:
Don't take hers away so soon. Mix them together. She can smell the difference.
find someone who has an incubator.
listen to danny boy
have you ever heard of fried chicken
Hi Dear,
my Grandma had a Jail for them hens,she but them in confinement,it worked,try,Karl
Hi simple answer is that hens at this time of year are not broody %26 may not want to sit until the spring when the days get lighter.sorry.Regards Jake
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/petssecond.
Put her eggs back if you still have them and mix in the fertile ones slowly. Take one of hers and replace it with a fertile one.
Do it every couple of hours or so. You are going to have to keep the fertile ones warm while you are replacing her eggs.
Since she was sitting on eggs she is ready to hatch some.
Even if you leave a few of her eggs in with them that is fine.
I had a hen sit on 12 this year only one hatched. After it hatched I went out and got 6 chicks and gave them to her and took the other eggs. She raised all the chicks just fine.
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment