Sunday, August 2, 2009

My hermie won't eat his food?

He's not eating at all.. He drinks the spoge dry but he doesn't eat. Is this normal? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?? i love my hermit crab :( :( :(
Answers:
i'm sure this is a love unlike any other. try changing the food it may not be what he used to. a power food seems to go over well with our hundreds of hermit crabs at the pet store. be sure your giving him a bath semi-weekly with salt water (sea salt) this will keep him healthy and increase appetite. along with the soaked sponge, mist the tank daily. if your not already perhaps a moist food may help. cheers!
mine did the same thing and he died :(
maby hes eating when u r not their
good luck :)
Mine never ate that I saw either and it lived for a really long time, died drowning in the water.
My hermit crab is the smae way!
I even tried buying him snacks and all that but he just won't eat!!
if you get an answer tell me!!
When you have just one or two hermit crabs it is sooooo hard to tell that they are eating. They have such little stomaches that they can get for a week you and prob wouldnt hardly notice it.

If you have their food container in the sand, then you can watch for little feet tracks and see if they go to the dish. If you will buy them fish flakes, they love those and it has alot of the nutrients that they need. ALso, feeding them Total Brand Cornflake cereal has some of the best foods for them. If you want to watch them go crazy over something, give them popcorn, that has no butter or salt on it.

I have a mix of foods for my hermies and that have just about devoured the container so I am going to have to mix up a new batch of it. If you want more information on what I put in the food, email me privately at oimsofunny@sbcglobal.net.. and I will look up my recipe for them and give it to you or whoever wants it..

There are also a few kinds of hermit crab foods that they will not eat .

You also need more then just a sponge for a water source. If it is going totally dry, then you do not have enough moisture in the tank for the hermies.. You need to get more humidity in there or a lid that covers the tank. Eco Earth or some other coconut fiber, gets alot of humidity in the tank and helps to regulate the humidity easier..

Sabrina
58 hermies since July 2004 and 1 Raccoon May 2006. RIP BANDIT
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oimsofunny.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hermieswap.
try fruit, like a banana chunk or strawberry chunk, or a small chuck of bread, but make sure you change it after a day or you'll get fruit flies and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment