Sunday, August 2, 2009

My horse has dark thick urine and I am worried! :0(?

I have only had him for a month, so I will give you a bit of info. First off I am going to be calling the vet in the morning ASAP, so this is just a disscussion to prepare me with questions to ask the vet when they arrive in the AM. I am guessing they will do a blood test and urine analisis to check for kidney issues and things. There is a chance that he might just be dehydrated as he is acting wierd about drinking water from the trough and he will dring two buckets full of water when I fill them in his stall, which is what I have been doing to be on the safe. (The barn manager said she has seen him drink from the main trough, but I have yet to see him do it) He has been urinating frequently, and it is small amounts and thick like. But he is otherwise happy and alert. I am so worried! Any advice on what to do/preperation for the arrival of the vet? (This is my first horse and he was a surprise gift, so he didn't have a vet check prior to getting him)
Answers:
first off you say his urine is dark but what color, yellow, redish, yellow green, ect,
does it have a strong smell and if so what is it like, ammona, dead meat, ect
If it is a white yellow colar this is a sign of infection and the vet will give him a shot of pinacellion or better yet L.A.200
if it is dark yellow or ornge color I would think it were dehydration, and would add salt to his feed and cut out the oats and sweet feed of he is getting any.
Run your hand along his back on eather side of his spine just before the rear hips, you are feeling for heat. if you find this area to be hot you have a horse that has a keddny problem, this could be from a infection or it could be the alfalfa he is getting is to hot for him and needs to be put on grass hay or burmuda pellets.
Your vet should be able to tell you if you have hot keddneys and what will cause this, but have him/her show you how to check for this and them check him for this often,
if you spend a lot of time rubbing your horse down with your hands you will learn what the normal hot spots are and were they are not, just takes a lot of time to learn,
I don't think it's normal..
i own horses never had this problem my suggestion is to keep giving him water sometimes they wont eat or drink in front of you there weird like that sounds like a infection in his urinary tract but im not a vet just be there with him when the vet comes keep him calm by talking to him but stay out of the vets way another thing depending on some vets they dont make house calls you could call the vet now they have emergency answering service that may ease your mind till morning good luck i pray hes ok
I would imagine that your Horse has an infection which your Vet shall be able to pick up quickly with a few checks We have had horses for over 20 years now and have had them with urinary infections wait until your vet check in your am I hope all is O.K. good riding
Had he been ridden hard before this showed up..? Have you logged the times you have refilled his water, with the amounts.
What do you mean by "dark" , drk yellow,, brown,, reddish,?
maybe he has a kidney or some kind of digestive problem or maybe even a tumor or something in there.a horse at my old stable had one and urinated blood sometimes. or it would be red or brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment