Sunday, August 2, 2009

My hermit crab changed its shell. now what?

I woke up this morning to find one of my hermit crabs had changed shells overnight. I've only had them for a few months and this is the first time one of them has changed shells.

Is there anything special care (besides the usual misting, feeding, etc) I should give my crab now that he has moved in to his new home? Should I get rid of the old shell? There is another (slightly larger) crab in the tank - I know they like to be in groups, but will the new-shell crab feel threatened? (I do have a plastic separator to put in the tank if needed)

Thanks in advance!!
Answers:
there is no special care required. Some will change shells often, others won't. They do this as a way of getting comfortable. I had one who would hop shells daily, trying on new ones for a few hours, then going back to her original shells.


In response to Sophia- NO, you do not need to get rid of the shell. Keep it! Your hermit crab might want to move back in, or the others might decide to use it. When one of my crabs moves on, I just clean the shell out, and put it back in the crabitat.
Leave them alone, just put larger shells in the area so as they grow, they can change again. That is what they do. Good luck
No.
This goes on all the time. We had one grab a 10mL small beaker in the lab and put it on its back and walked off.
not much you can do but just what you always do. you dont need a plastic separator or anything
Hermit crabs are like people.they like change and to have a more interesting home now and them. It doesn't mean anything bad.just like change or maybe they out-grew their last home, just like people.Hermit Crabs are fun. I have had a couple.but don't give them ham.I don't think they are Orthodox, just seems to do them in. I lost two one time when I did this.
As your crab grows it will need larger shells, so you should have another shell placed in the tank that is slightly larger that what it has now (for both crabs) It will most likly take over the shell of the larger crab when it moves out of its current shell. Just keep doing what your doing sounds like things are going great for you!
Oh it s fine. And yeah you should get rid of the old shell if there isn't another hermit crab who could possibly grow into it.
no the change their shells
just put some more shells in his habitat and he will choose the one that fits him best.
Changing shells is a very normal and healthy Hermit Crab behavior.

Some crabs will change their shells a few times in an hour to find the right one, and we have several who change shells every week or so.

All you need to do is make sure the tank conditions are correct and within range, then that silly misting can stop. (misting causes mold, mildew and other problems to start)

Temps range shloud be between 76-82 degrees F and the humidity shloud be between 75%-85% relative.

Both temp and humidity shloud hold steady and be monitored 24/7. And having the correct tank conditions are a must to have healthy and long liiving hermit crabs.

Also make sure you provide both fresh de-chlorinated water AND natural Oceanic/morine salt de-chlorinated waters in large pools within the tank all the time.

And the last thing is make sure you have at least 4 extra shells per crab in the tank at all times, and extras on hand so you can rotate the selection and keep them clean and moist.

You not only have to pay attention to the size, but type, weight, opening size and shape as everything is crutial to the hermit crabs.

Congrats and good luck. if you ever need help you may email us anytime at hermitcrab_rescue@yahoo.com
Nope, changing shells is a really good sign, and there is no extra care you should give him/her.

and you dont need to do anything with the shell, like you dont need to throw it out, incase the crab wants to move back.


I remember I came home from school one day to find my hermit crab completly out of him shell, dead. I guess he didnt like any of the shells I gave him :(

lol, Good job with him

and good luck xDD鈾?

No comments:

Post a Comment