Sunday, August 2, 2009

My horse has pigeon fever. He's not abscessing - nor getting better. What can I do for him?


Answers:
Can you see where the abcess is? If so, use hot compreses a couple times a day to draw it out and slathering on "icthamol" ointment (it is black and smelly) this will also help to bring it to a head like a big zit . Eventually it will burst, just keep it clean and let it drain. usually Mares get it on their chest and teets. I would not have the vet lance them, it is a hassle. just let nature take its course.Oh for the pain a couple tabs of bute should ease the pain Ya know "giant horse asprin"
Awww poor horse.
I'm not really good with things like this but all I can say is consult and vet or someone in that profession.
Hope that helps and good luck.
I hope ur horse gets well soon.
I think you should tell the horse vet closest to you the problem. Non of my horses have ever had pigeon fever, but my grandma's did. We had to tell the vet and they gave us some medicine. I really hope he/she gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment